The Student Credit Card Scheme launched by the Government of West Bengal is a financial initiative aimed at easing the financial burden on students and their families and helping students pursue their education without any financial difficulties, whether in India or abroad.
The scheme provides students with a credit card, which they can use to pay for various expenses related to their education, such as tuition fees, book purchases, and other study-related expenses. The scheme was launched on 30th June 2021.
The Student credit card comes with a pre-set limit of 10 Lakhs with a collateral-free loan with a nominal interest rate of 4% simple interest per annum, and the student is required to repay the amount within a specified time frame of 15 years after getting a job.
Features and Benefits of Student Credit Card
Here are some awesome features and benefits of the student credit card:
- Students do not need to provide any guarantor to avail of this student credit card loan
- Interest is only 4% simple interest per annum
- The loan repayment period is 15 years after getting a job
How to Apply
Students who meet the requirements must register online at the WBSCC’s official website before they may submit an online application for the West Bengal Student Card Scheme. Below are a few instructions and direct links:
Step 1: Log in to the official website of WBSCC (Department of Higher Education West Bengal) i.e. wbscc.wb.gov.in.
Step 2: Click on the “Student Registration” Option on the Main Menu header (in Turquoise colour)
Step 3: On the pop-up of Student Registration, click on “For institutions outside India”
Step 4: After clicking on the “For institutions outside India” button, you will get a form like this (below) whose URL will be https://wbscc.wb.gov.in/Scc_Foreign/Applicant_Registration
Step 5: Applicants have to provide their Personal details like name, address, DOB, Aadhar No., Contact Details, password, educational qualifications, etc. After filling in the correct details, click on the “Register” button.
Step 6: Next, log in with the Application ID and Password to complete the application process. Fill in the required details and upload supporting documents.
Step 7: Verify the details provided on Online Application and go for the Final Submission. Take out a printout for future reference.
Before starting the online registration process, the candidate must keep the following documents at hand:
- Colour Photograph of Application (.jpeg/.png format 20 KB to 50 KB)
- Colour Photograph of the Co-applicant / Co-borrower (.jpeg/.png format 20 KB to 50 KB)
- Signature of Student (.jpeg/.png format 10 KB to 50 KB)
- Co-borrower / Guardian’s Signature (.jpeg/.png format 10 KB to 50 KB)
- Student Aadhar Card (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Student Class 10th Registration Certificate (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Guardian’s Address Proof (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Admission Receipt (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Student Pan Card/undertaking if no Pan card (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Guardians Pan Card/undertaking if there is no pan card (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Relevant Page of the Brochure/document detaining course fee/tuition fee (PDF Size 50 KB to 400 KB)
- Only students can avail the benefit of this collateral-free loan
- Applicants applying for the loan under the Student Credit Card Scheme must be Indian nationals, residing in the state of West Bengal for the past 10 years
- To avail of the loan under the credit card scheme for higher studies in India or abroad, applicants need to qualify for Class 10
- The students must be within 40 years of age
- This collateral-free loan can only be used for higher studies and not for any commercial purpose.
- This repayment period is 15 years after getting the job.
This loan will cover the following expenses:
- Fees for admission exams, competitive coaching centers, professional institutes, colleges, madrasas, and other educational institutions.
- Hostel Accommodation fees or as a paying guest
- Deposits payable to institution, library, and laboratory
- Cost of purchasing books, digital devices, and other equipment, if any.
- Course-related expenses such as study tours, project work, thesis submission, if any
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the WBSCC Student Credit Card Scheme?
Students can avail of loans up to Rs.10 Lakh for Higher Studies at institutions in India or even abroad.
What is the Official Website of West Bengal Student Credit Card?
The Official website of WBSCC is https://wbscc.wb.gov.in.
What documents are required to apply for an online WB Student Credit Card?
Applicant must have to provide Aadhar Card, Pan Card, Income Proof Certificate, Bank Details, Passport Size Photographs, Signature, etc.
Who is eligible to apply for Student Credit Card Scheme in West Bengal?
Students who are residing in the state of West Bengal and have completed their 10th grade or even higher and want to pursue higher education can take advantage of the West Bengal government’s Student Credit Card Scheme.
What are the requirements for West Bengal Student Credit Card Scheme Apply Online?
The student must collect all required documentation before applying online, including a birth certificate, proof of residency, a student ID card, a pan card, an Aadhar card, and a photograph, among others.
For more information, https://wbscc.wb.gov.in/assets/FAQ_English.pdf